Danish guard ship NORSKE LOEVE
The NORSKE LOEVE was built in 1765 by the Nyholm shipyard, close to Copenhagen. The ship was named after the Norwegian Lion and the Danish-Norwegian Imperial Coat of Arms. There was a crew of 667 men and an armament of 70 iron cannons, with 26 cannons 24 pd. on the lower deck, 26 cannons 18 pd. on the middle deck and 18 cannons 8 pd. on the upper deck. All ornaments, made by the sculptor C. Moellerup, were reminders of Norway. On the transom there is a fisherman and a farmer, symbolizing the most important trades of Norway, agriculture and fishing.
The Norske Loeve was used as a guard ship in the Oeresund and other Danish waters. In 1795, after having been stripped into a block ship, she was used to give shelter for homeless families after the fire in Copenhagen the same year. In 1798 she was deleted from the naval register.
The NORSKE LOEVE ship model
The ship model has been built with sails set like the ship being on port tack in quartering wind. The small stabilizing wedges by the keel give the model a slight listing to lee. One can easily get the impression of an elegant ship moving in the wind.
The beautiful, very well done model of the NORSKE LOEVE is 1 : 75 scale. Length is 102 cm, width 35 cm, height 92 cm. The model can taken out of the stand, e.g. for transport.